Why oh Why oh Why!?!

Posted in Media Issues on January 17, 2009 – 11:33 pm

Why is it that shows still, after all these years, they still feel the need to make Wicca and Witchcraft out to be “Devil worship”, Black Magic, or simple not real?!?!  Why??  Yes, it’s easy not to do any research.  Yes, it’s probably even good for ratings and press….. bad attention is better than no attention.   It just seems so lazy and wrong to do it.

What am I ranting and raving about??  The CBS crime drama “The Mentalistepisode 12.

Usually the show is interesting, sometimes annoying.  I watch it mostly when there’s nothing else to watch, which of course is why I watched this episode 5 days late.  I don’t like the main character, Patrick Jane, very much.  He’s not a very sympathetic character and he always has this smirk, and he’s extremely condescending… especially to someone who believes in anything esoterical.

One episode they are dealing with a “psychic” who is actually a con artist.  He’s rude to her, which she wasn’t trying to be a real psychic, she was just a con artist, so I let that go.  He was really rude to one of his co-workers who believed in the paranormal, treated her like an idiot.  Which that pissed me off a little, but still, I let it go.  However episode 12 titled “RedRum” was a different situation all together.

The opening scene is the unit finding a body laid at the bottom of a tree with candles and a five pointed star there.  And what is the first thing out of his mouth “It’s Black Magic”.  GAAAHH!!!!  First it was just candles and a star made from branches, how is that BLACK anything!?!  Then the victims parents tell the unit that their son, the victim, was threatened by the “local witch” who put a spell on him.  Which they go to this womans house and she says she put a “Killing spell” on this teenage boy AND calls herself a WICCAN in the same breath!!!

Ok, hello?!?!  Wiccan rede and “killing spells” do not go together!  “Harm NONE and do what you will”  Not Harm none and do what you will unless they piss you off then go and put a “killing spell” on them.  And what the heck is a “killing spell”??  GAHHH!!  Can you tell how pissed I am??

Then, they decide to have her show them what a “killing spell” is, but she takes them out to the forest and she does a “binding spell” on one of the agents because “the killing spell is secret so she can’t show them that, but she can do a binding spell which is similar”.  Ok, I’m just turning purple at this point in the show and had to go have a cigarette.

I mean, come on people!!  I did a quick search on google and found a wikipedia article on wicca which is the very first link.  On that page you can easily find the Wiccan Rede and see that NO one calling themselves Wiccan would do any type of “killing spell” and certainly not the type of binding spell that she did either!  The only thing they did get right was that Wicca worships the god and goddess!  Sheesh!!!!

I know I’m not the only one who got pissed off at the show.  I went on some forums about the show and there are tons of people upset at the lack of even a rudimentary research on Wicca!  It’s just irritating to me that in this day and age of instant research, that this show (and others like it which have done the same lazy thing) decided not to do any research at all.  **sigh**

I’ll probably not watch the show ever again, since it wasn’t even a show that I really liked much.  I won’t miss it, but I’m still irritated.  Afterall this is the same network that has shows like CSI where they HAVE done really good research about wicca and other topics with much mis-information out there about it.  So there is just no excuse for them to have done the lazy thing and put out this dribble.

I hope you’ll join me in not watching the damned show.  With all the shows that are GREAT like Eli Stone and Pushing Dasies being canceled, this one should be canceled too!  And it’s not even that good of a show so no one will really miss it!  LOL!

signature

This entry was written by Kendra, filed under Media Issues and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
Bookmark the permalink or follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Storm posted on January 17, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

That’s why I try to avoid these shows – I know they are only going to make me mad!

Storms last blog post..Free Breath-A-Licious Dog Bone!

2. Thyme2dream posted on January 17, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Im with you…and already not watching it, so that was easy:) I think its the same with most religions on shows like this- making them into the wackos makes better for plotlines in their minds…sigh.

Thyme2dreams last blog post..The Faeries at the ( Inaugural ) Ball

3. admin posted on January 17, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

I totally agree. They do it with homeschoolers too. Ya know, the homeschooler is always the wacko that keeps their kids inside and hides from the world, kinda thing. GAH! Now I’m watching Ghost Whisperer, which doesn’t do that kind of thing and really researches things!

4. Mama Kelly posted on January 18, 2009 at 8:14 am | Permalink

After more than 20 years on this path I am numb, I think, to these kinds of portrayals. Yes they anger me, but overall our portrayal in the media is so much more positive than it was that I tend to be able to let it go.

Mama Kellys last blog post..For Flour Sugar and Rest

5. David posted on January 20, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I think TV in general is just sloppy with facts. When I see nonsense like this, I think the writers of the show are too lazy to bother researching their topic. I can imagine these writers making up things out of thin air.

Davids last blog post..If Obama is Luke and Bush is Anakin, who is the Emperor?

6. Leon posted on January 26, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Hey, how are you doing? Hope all is well.

7. Faith posted on January 30, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Dude, tell me about it! I’m not Wiccan (Actually, I’d have to say that worship of Odin may be the exact opposite of Wiccan lmao), but the portrayal of Heathens in the media is just ridiculous. Do you have any idea what kind of protests and flag burnings that show would have if they showed Christians in that light?

What a double standard! Generally I let it go, because TV’s never been all that keen on factual story lines, but now and then it dawns on me that the way they portray Pagans is not only offensive, it’s as bad as stereotyping other races and sexual orientations, it’s just that at the moment no one cares because Pagans haven’t marched on Washington yet, lol. Come to think of it, we probably should. 😛

I love your blog, btw! Always nice to stumble on one of our own, even if our religions differ so much. 🙂

Faiths last blog post..Lazypants

8. Sage Moonstone posted on February 7, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I hate that! Thank you for posting about it.. and letting us know (I don’t watch that show any way, but I won’t be in the future for sure!)

Blessings~