I am a Christian Witch!

Posted in Christian Witch on April 14, 2008 – 1:02 am

This is probably one of the biggest controversies in Paganism and Christianity.
Can you be both a Christian and a Witch?? Yes! of course you can! Sheesh, there
really aren’t any rules out there saying what you can and can not believe!!!
Though there are plenty of people who would LIKE there to be rules about
spirituality and religion, the fact is, there isn’t!

So, the question remains, how can someone be a Christian Witch? Aren’t they two
diabolically different religions?

Of course this all depends on the person’s definition of each of these
religions. That should go without saying. But it should also go without saying
that religion and spirituality are totally private and individual! But that is
beside the point of this article.

What is a witch, pagan, Wiccan? There are more definitions of these words than
there are of Christians! But basically the tenets of Witchcraft, Paganism and
Wicca are the belief that everything in nature is Divine including ourselves.
There are those who believe in one God or Goddess, there are those who believe
in many, and there are those who believe in none (or that all Gods are really
one God). But there is no hard and fast rule about who, what, or how to believe
in Divinity, except that all things are a part of that Divinity. You’d think
that magic is another tenet, but it’s not really. Most Witches, Pagans and
Wiccans use magick as a way of communicating with the Divine, but certainly not
all of them do. That is a personal decision. Most pagans don’t believe in Satan,
and none worship him as their God! But this is also a personal choice, not a
rule. So basically this is what witchcraft, paganism and Wicca are… yes
there’s a lot more too them, but most of it depends on what tradition you belong
to, or what the individual believes.

So how does Christianity fit in with Witchcraft and Paganism? Doesn’t one of the
ten commandments say not to worship false gods or other gods? Well, first of
all, if you’re going to be a “Christian”, lets talk about the only “rule” that
matters in Christianity. Jesus and the blessing. To be a Christian, you have to
believe in Christ as the son of God (or *A* son of God, hehe). That belief, is
the blessing that gives you “ever lasting life”. Living by the law of the bible
doesn’t give it to you, because the Law is set up for you to LOSE!! “Those who
live by the law, will be judged by the law, and ALL WILL FALL SHORT”. Period,
end of discussion. Don’t try to be a “good Christian”, don’t worry about
sinning, cuz you really can’t stop sinning! (all of this according to the bible)
You’ve got this blessing, this special gift of belief and that’s the only thing
that matters. So does it matter if you disobey every single commandment?? Of
course not! Because you can’t expect to be alive and not sin! No this doesn’t
mean go out and be a horrible person, it means that you can’t expect yourself to
be perfect!! And if these laws are the only thing keeping you from committing
crimes, and from being a truly horrible and evil person, you’re not going to be
able to keep up the charade for very long anyway!

So, ok.. the two basics of the so called “opposing” beliefs are “All things in
nature are part of the Divine” and “Belief in Jesus as the Son of God”. hmmm…
they don’t seem so opposing anymore do they?? yes there is a lot more to these
two religions, but these are the basics of them.. the very foundations. I could
go on about the similarities between them, but I just wanted to state how they
are NOT contradictory in nature, and that it’s very easy to see how you can be
both a Christian and a Witch. I’ll probably write about more specific things in
another article. But I think this is a good start. 🙂

signature

This entry was written by Kendra, filed under Christian Witch and tagged , , , , , , , , , .
Bookmark the permalink or follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

22 Comments

1. Stephanie posted on December 31, 2008 at 4:59 am | Permalink

I am so pleased to read this I too am a christian witch, and some argue it is impossible. I am glad you wrote this it was quite inspirational.

2. admin posted on February 28, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I am so glad that you both found this to be helpful. There are many of us out there that believe this way, but it’s only been since the internet that we’ve been able to find each other.

3. Rowan S. posted on February 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

I was glad to read this message. I am also a Christian witch and I have struggled with various aspects of this belief system. I believe that it is possible to follow Jesus and be a witch, although I don’t share this belief with very many people.

4. Kate posted on March 14, 2009 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I am happy to have found your site. I am a lifelong Christian who discovered 5 years ago that she was also a witch. However I have never been able or wished to deny my love for Jesus. This way of spirituality feels right to me and it’s good to know I am not alone!

5. Ketutar posted on March 20, 2009 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Being Christian Witch is not a problem. Being a witch is not a religious belief, and witch is not synonymous with Pagan. Paganity is religion, therefore being Christian AND Pagan IS a problem.

Pagan means non-Christian.

It’s not a question of the tenets, it’s a question of what words mean. You cannot start defining words by yourself to fit your ideas.

You cannot be a Pagan and Christian.
    You cannot be Muslim and Christian.
    You cannot be Jewish and Christian.
    You cannot be Pagan and Muslim.
    You cannot be Jewish and Pagan.
    You cannot be Muslim and Jewish.
    You cannot be a man and a woman.
    You cannot be a cat and a dog.
    You cannot have the cake and eat it too.

You have to choose. Be a witch, but if you want to be Pagan, you have to give up Christianity. If you want to be Christian, you have to give up Paganity. You cannot be both.

You are right in that the core belief is compatible in both religions. You don’t have to denounce Christianity simply because you believe that the nature is part of the Divine. St. Francis of Assisi shared this opinion. But if you believe Jesus was Son of One God, the Messiah, the Savior, born Human, part of Trinity and all the other Christian tenets, you cannot be Pagan.

6. admin posted on March 20, 2009 at 5:58 am | Permalink

That’s where you’re wrong. I DO get to change the definition of words. Actually everyone does. Words… language is always changing, growing, redifining itself BECAUSE of how people use it differently through time. As people use words differently, changing the idea behind the word, eventually the meaning changes. If words never changed, then witch would still mean “hag who worships the devil” or “someone who practices black magic”, “poisoner”, and we both know that these are not the ONLY definitions of the word.

More importantly than all of that, I can define MY spiritual path any damn way I want to! It’s MY path. You don’t have to like it, you don’t have to accept it, you don’t have to agree with it. Obviously plenty of people understand and agree! But you don’t have to. You can say I’m trying to “have my cake and eat it too”, you can say “I’m hedging my bets”…. you can SAY anything you’d like, doesn’t change who I am or what my beliefs are. My spiritual beliefs are that I am BOTH Pagan and Christian.

oh, and by the way, the only TRUE way to be a Christian is to BE Jewish…. according to the bible the only TRUE Christians are Jewish people who believe in Christ, all others are gentiles and don’t technically count. Of course because the word “Christian” has been used over the centuries by those who were not Jewish, it’s meaning has changed over time. Which of course is my point!

7. Sabrina M Bowen posted on September 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

“You cannot be a Pagan and Christian.
    You cannot be Muslim and Christian.
    You cannot be Jewish and Christian.
    You cannot be Pagan and Muslim.
    You cannot be Jewish and Pagan.
    You cannot be Muslim and Jewish.
    You cannot be a man and a woman.
    You cannot be a cat and a dog.
    You cannot have the cake and eat it too.”

Here is the issue with this – Christianity IS at it’s core, Pagan. Modern Paganism is either based on or connected to Ancient Cultural belief systems or Nature Based. While Christianity (or Judaism or Islam) is not nature based, it IS based on the Ancient Cultural beliefs of the Israelites, beliefs which were both similar to and directly connected to the beliefs of those cultures around them. There is NO difference between a religion based on the Ancient beliefs of the Greeks, Egyptians or Mayans and having a religion based on the Ancient beliefs of the Israelites. And IF one were to actually take time to study the beliefs, traditions and practices of the Ancient Israelites one would discover that they were, without a doubt, inter-connected and inter-bread with other cultures of that day… They had other Gods & Goddesses, they had priests who preformed secret rituals, they had sacrifices and feasts… Now, not only is modern day Christianity based on this very “Pagan-like” culture, but it, itself, has been influenced and altered by the Pagan beliefs and cultures which it grew up around. Even the very basic ideas of a God who is born of a virgin just to be killed and reborn 3 days later are ALL ideas and beliefs of PAGAN cultures.

So WHY, can one be a member of a very clearly Pagan religion such as Christianity and yet, not be a Christian and a Pagan?

8. Calvin Mcgraw posted on April 27, 2009 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

9. CrimsonSheep posted on June 6, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

“I DO get to change the definition of words. Actually everyone does. Words… language is always changing, growing, redifining itself BECAUSE of how people use it differently through time.”
    Not if you’re French. They have an entire institution dedicated to preserving the purity of the French language.

“My spiritual beliefs are that I am BOTH Pagan and Christian.”
    Only if you don’t believe Christ was YHWH is that possible. And pretty much nobody but you would consider that Christian.

“oh, and by the way, the only TRUE way to be a Christian is to BE Jewish…. according to the bible the only TRUE Christians are Jewish people who believe in Christ, all others are gentiles and don’t technically count. Of course because the word “Christian” has been used over the centuries by those who were not Jewish, it’s meaning has changed over time.”
    Uhm, no. Christian denotes follower of Christ. Jews and Gentiles were both given the opportunity to follow Christ, which is why we now have Christians and Messianic Jews. Some Jews decided to follow Christ specifically with the Gentiles and abandoned their purity laws, whence we get Christians. Others retain the “old laws” and also accept Christ as Savior, whence we get Messianic Jews.

Gentile means not-Jewish or more specifically not-an-Israelite, because it’s based on race. That’s it.

Isn’t it funny how people always say, “According to the Bible…” but never do give references so we can look it up for ourselves?

10. mswindows posted on July 26, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Wow! what an idea ! What a concept ! Beautiful .. Amazing

11. Sidney posted on October 7, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

This is a beautiful post! I’m just starting out on my journey as a Christopagan, and this post really helped me bring everything together at the beginning. PS I’m stealing your button so I can link to you on my blog!

12. Rowan S. posted on October 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know of someone who has been a Christian witch for a long time and has made it work? I would like to hear how they did it because it is a difficult path, at least at first. A witch does spells as part of the craft. When is a spell appropriate instead of a prayer and as a Christian, why would you need a spell if prayers worked? I personally believe that magic is not religion but more like a science.

13. admin posted on October 25, 2009 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Those are excellent questions Rowan! I’ve been a Christian my entire life and have been Pagan for the last 20 years. Never once did I think of my self as anything other than a Christian Pagan/Witch. So, it’s been 20 years for me. I consider spells and prayers basically the same. Spells are a little more active and participatory and prayers are more devotionals or chants/affirmations.

When I call the quarters or invoke the God/Goddess in a ritual, I am saying a prayer. When I am saying a chant or affirmation over my spell working, that is a prayer. Spells and prayers are done in conjunction with each other, not as an either or situation.

I understand how you see magic like science. I look at magic and spells more like psycology rather than science. The tools, spells, prayers, are all to help you focus your will and intention on your desired outcome or goal. They are only there to enhance your workings and connection with deity, but in reality, they are not neccesary to connect with deity at all. But since we are human, and are distracted easily, the tools, spells, chants, prayers, all work to help us stay focused.

Does that help?

14. Rowan S. posted on December 27, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Hi. Yes, I can agree with your explanation of prayers and spells. This is a very interesting path to be on. My Christian life has be basically devoid of ritual, with the exception of Christmas, Easter. That is how it has been for me, but the witch in me has been seeking more meaning to my life. This includes Christianity but also includes rituals, blessings and spells. I have studied the Norvicensian version and am now studying under a green witch. I read a lot as well.

15. Leah posted on December 14, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I normally don’t reach out like this, but I wanted to share my story. I am a Christian Witch. I have been a Christian all of my life; but a few years ago, I felt that I needed to do some spiritual searching. I found a home in a solitary wiccan path.

I am also a singer and for about 9 years, I was employed as a soloist in a church. When I decided that I needed to seek The Creator on another path, I told the minister (who happened to also be my father-in-law!) He understood and supported my journey. I continued to sing with the church and his term as Pastor came to an end.

The new minister was a woman fresh out of Seminary. We shared similar beliefs about women’s role in the church (which, btw, is one of my reasons for leaving the church!) and we got along pretty well.

When my son was five and Samhain was nearing, I got a little nervous. I share my spirituality with my family, and being five, I was worried that he would blurt out something to the Sunday School teachers. I didn’t make my beliefs known to the church because I didn’t know how people would react. I felt obligated to let the new pastor know in case I was “outed” by my son. I thought she would understand. She didn’t.

We had a few meetings (where I stressed my belief in Jesus everytime), and they had several meetings; and a week after Easter, they fired me! (Note that they continued to use my talents during this time!)

So now I am betrayed and hurt; and my family and I now have to find a new church to go to. I was online looking for ideas to create a spell to find a church, when I found your page. it’s nice to know that I am not alone and that there are people who will understand and apreciate my predicament.

Thank you for sharing.

16. Kendra posted on December 15, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I’ve had many people on both sides, tell me that I can’t believe the way that I do. They are wrong though… we can believe any way that we choose. And As I have seen from the responses to this article, we are not alone!

I am sorry that you were used and hurt by your former church. Have you looked into the UU church near you? They are not only open minded, open hearted, and welcoming, but they also have pagans in the church that hold rituals and such thruogh out the year. CUUPs, Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans, is the pagan portion of the Unitarian Universalist Church.

From their website –

It is the officially-recognized Pagan resource of a non-Pagan religion, Unitarian Universalism. Its status as an Interest Group of the UUA makes a statement that the leadership and members of the Unitarian Universalist Association recognize Pagan paths as a valid expression of spirituality and a legitimate path to religious truth for individuals. It gives Pagan-identified UUs the unique and delightful experience of being able to pursue their individual journeys of, to name just a sampling, Wicca, Shamanism, earth-centered spirituality, Witchcraft, Druidism, Asatru, Native American spirituality, Rasta, Stregheria, Toteg Tribe spirituality, and myriad other singular paths of Pagan belief and thought, without having to deny themselves the benefits and resources of church affiliation.

You might want to take a look and see what they have to offer. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck on your path and hope that if you need anything further you’ll ask!

Blessed Be!
    Kendra

17. Rowan S. posted on December 27, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

It’s too bad it turned out that way for you. I have a feeling that most Christians will feel pretty much the same as that pastor. This is why I am extremely reluctant to share the witch aspect of me with other Christians. The exception is a good friend of mine who has been through a few things herself. There is no judgment there, but even she says ‘you’re not a real witch’! This is due to the pagan witches she knows. This path can be complicated but, it is really between you and the Creator.

18. Rev. Antony Kidd Lawyer posted on October 26, 2012 at 2:50 am | Permalink

Dear Leah,
    Perhaps if of neccesity you feel the need to be part of a Christian Church whilst also being a practicing witch you should read up on the internet about the Universal Life Church. It’s website is easily accesible. You can be of any faith or denomination thereof and be a member, and sermons and blogs are posted between members on the site be they atheist or Wiccan, Satanist or Russian Orthodox. Why not be an entrepenural Christian Witch and sell tapes of yourself singing Holy incantations and make yourself a few $. ‘Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law’. Samhain Blessings to you. LOL x
    Antony KL

19. forex magic bullet ea posted on April 8, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Is there an RSS Feed I can subscribe to?

20. Kendra posted on April 9, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

You can subscribe to the RSS feed by clicking on one of the buttons on the right that says “subscribe”.

21. Jessica posted on June 20, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Your premise is false. The salvation given with the death of Christ only applies to people who TRY to live by the Bible. All will fall short, but faith in Jesus as the Savior that is sincere (evident by the actions of the person trying to live in the way the Bible says) will save you.
    A person that willingly acts in any manner listed here: “one who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.” would be considered a person that is not honoring God’s word and is disallowed salvation.
    THE NEW TESTAMENT, the absolute last Book that is accepted as the Word of God, Revelations, says quite clearly, “But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” PRACTICING MAGIC IS HERE. Not “bad” magic, just magic.
    You absolutely CANNOT be a Christian and a witch. How does a lifestyle that is a daily flaunting of your disregard of the word of God allow you a gift from God?
    The absolute easiest way to clarify is by reminding all of you that the Bible says that anyone that sins and feels no remorse, no misery, that person is not “saved, but a bastard”. Jesus said you can only accept him if you accept who he sent, that is the Holy Spirit. As you can only receive the gift of salvation from the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit can only give it if you accept the Gospel as true, then a “witch” touched by the Holy Spirit when given salvation would forever feel sadness and misery after using witchcraft, which would lead her to stop. Any person that feels joy when flaunting sin is not touched by the Holy Spirit, thus is not saved.
    Salvation was always given to people with sincere belief in Jesus as the Savior, if you sincerely believe that, you must believe in the Bible which proclaimed him Savior. If you believe in the Bible, you must believe that magic is forbidden. If you believe magic is forbidden, to honor your covenant with God, you may not use it.
    The only way a “Christian Witch” could work is with Christ as a stand alone deity, separate from the Bible. Which is impossible since Christ quite clearly indicated he honored the Bible. You could choose to see Christ as disconnected completely, believe he was simply a wise man with no religious leanings, but that negates the idea of “salvation”. You could toss the Bible out entirely and use the Trinity as a pantheon, but then you don’t have a basis for thinking you need “salvation” at all. The only thing for sure is the Bible and magic are as compatible as lava and wood, the only way they combine is when one reduces the other to non-existence.
    I get how tempting it must be. In a religion as limiting, degrading, and boring as Christianity, it must be common to want to be something unique and worthy. The problem is, how to be more than your religion says you are without abandoning it? Try to make something cool acceptable. It’s creative, but still fails. You have to admit that you are looking for a way to outsmart God. You want to avoid hell while seeing yourself as powerful rather than a worthless sinner.
    If you think God is okay with you trying to invent a loophole in his word so you can defy him and avoid punishment, you might want to double-check how far the Biblical God’s tolerance goes. He didn’t have a lot.
    The reason I say this? Because it’s common sense. Neither Paganism, Wicca, or Witchcraft are allowed in Christianity. Paganism has never, in any of the religions included under it, worshiped just one deity. Not even one guy with three faces. Saying Paganism is essentially Christianity is ridiculous. Just because the Christians jacked Pagan traditions doesn’t make them theirs. Pagan and Christian isn’t a workable combination. Implying that the theft of something gives you a right to it is IMMORAL.
    Wicca is a religion, you can’t have two religions. Not a workable combination.
    Witchcraft is a practice that is completely, repeatedly, and overwhelmingly condemned in both Old and New Testaments. Nowhere is there any qualifier for the use of it. No exceptions, no allowances. FORBIDDEN. You cannot be a witch and not do the things forbidden by the Bible. Not a workable combination.
    As a practicing witch for 30 years, and descendant of MANY others, I just want to say how disrespectful and insulting it is, for someone ascribing to the dogma that killed many innocent and selfless ancestors of mine, to have so many people spit on the legacy of these women by laying claim to a title they have no right to. You have as much right to the title of “witch” as Hitler has to the title of “Rabbi”.
    So, since you will call yourself whatever you want, knowing there is no truth in it, I will end this with a last comment. You take very lightly a very sacred, very powerful, very ancient, and very respected position. Witches are a sisterhood. The crime of “Kinslayer” is the greatest of any in our world. By supporting the religion that killed your sisters, you are a “Kinslayer”. Take care that magic itself does not take you seriously when you proclaim yourself “witch”. One day, you may find yourself being held accountable for your claims, and no witch has ever been given leave to act against their laws. There is no “salvation” in our world for acts of evil. There is only retribution. That’s why none of you are real witches, you do not believe in our world or our law. PRAY that you are never held accountable by it.

22. Kendra posted on March 25, 2019 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I’ve come back to this after many years and I see that the last comment was a very sad and incorrect statement of “facts”. There were actually very few “real” witches that were persecuted during the burning times. Most of the women and men killed were devout Christians and had nothing to do with witchcraft at all! It was used as a way to get rid of people who had land or power or reputation that others wanted. What a very sad and hateful person leaving that comment that I and others like me are a kin to HITLER simply because we believe differently from her. I hope that this person was able to find peace in her life because it’s quite obvious she had a lot of hate and anger in her heart. Never let anyone tell you what you can and cannot believe. Spirit is personal and only YOU can decide for yourself what spirit leads you to! Blessed Be everyone!